Strands of Evidence™ Hair & Fiber Analysis
A large amount of trace evidence was collected during the investigation of the cabin, and additional trace evidence from the Tumbling Water Land Development Co. truck discovered in New Mexico must be analyzed.
Students are tasked with analyzing hair and fiber evidence from two crime scenes. Hairs and fibers must first be removed from trace evidence collection tape by dissolving its adhesive in water and filtering the hairs and fibers from the solution. Students must then characterize the hairs and fibers using microscopy.
After all of the evidence from the truck is processed, students must attempt to match types of hairs and fibers from the cabin to those found in the truck. During this process, students learn about evidence handling and comparison.
As in all Lyle and Louise modules, this kit is geared to high school and undergraduate courses, and is matched to National Science Education Standards. This kit is designed for 6 labs groups (up to 30 students).
Next Generation Science Standards
- MS-LS1-1. Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells; either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells.
- MS-LS1-3. Use argument supported by evidence for how the body is a system of interacting subsystems composed of groups of cells.
Common Core Standards
- CCSS.Math.Content.7.RP.A.2 Recognize and represent proportional relationships between quantities.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSN-Q.A.3 Choose a level of accuracy appropriate to limitations on measurement when reporting quantities.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSF-BF.A.1 Write a function that describes a relationship between two quantities.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSF-LE.A.1b Recognize situations in which one quantity changes at a constant rate per unit interval relative to another.
- 30 cabin evidence collections
- 12 suspect evidence collections
- 6 truck evidence collections
- Data collection worksheets
- 144 microscope slides w/ coverslips
- 6 bottles of mounting media
- Fully illustrated teacher's manual with technique background
- Filters, funnels, and filter paper
- Forceps (6 - 12)
- Lab gloves
- Light-transmitting microscopes (6 - 12)
Cool and Dark (Ambient)