Stained with Suspicion™ Blood Detection and Evidence Processing
Your students will determine if a substance at the crime scene is blood. They will also learn the forensic techniques involved in evidence processing.
This laboratory kit introduces students to presumptive blood tests and evidence processing. During the lab, students will analyze different items to find traces of blood. They will also process a piece of evidence just as it would be processed at the actual crime scene.
As in all Lyle and Louise modules, this kit is geared to high school and undergraduate courses, and is matched to National Science Education Standards. This kit is designed for 6 labs groups (up to 30 students).
Next Generation Science Standards
- HS-LS3-3. Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population.
- HS-ETS1-2. Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.
- 6 bottles of hydrogen peroxide
- 6 bottles of phenolphthalein solution
- 6 sets of cotton swabs
- 6 sets of positive controls and presumptive test cards
- 6 carpet samples from the crime scene
- Fully illustrated teacher’s manual with technique background
- Lab gloves
- Distilled water
- Rulers for each group
- Camera (optional)
- Tweezers (optional)
Cool and Dark (Ambient)