Read the Found Prints™ Fingerprint Analysis
Will a fingerprint lifted from an open safe prove to be critical evidence in the Mondelo case? Students will study and perform fingerprint analysis to find out.
As detectives examine the offices of the Tumbling Water Land Development Company, they notice that the office safe is empty and hanging open. They dust the safe and find one clear fingerprint on the door of the safe. The print is lifted and sent back to the lab for analysis.
This kit introduces students to the fingerprinting techniques used by the FBI and other police professionals. After learning about and both rolling prints and lifting prints, students will perform both procedures. They will then analyze the fingerprint found at the business offices of Lyle Mondelo. Students will compare it to several suspect fingerprints to determine if there was suspicious activity at Mondelo's workplace.
Endorsed by Sirchie Finger Print Laboratories, a comprehensive manufacturer and distributor of forensic evidence collection supplies, this kit allows your students to roll and lift prints with the materials used by real forensic scientists!
As in all Lyle and Louise modules, this kit is geared to high school and undergraduate courses, and is matched to National Science Education Standards. This kit is designed for 6 labs groups (up to 30 students).
Next Generation Science Standards
- MS-ETS1-3. Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
- HS-ETS1-2. Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.
Common Core Standards
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSN-Q.A.1 Use units as a way to understand problems and to guide the solution of multi-step problems; choose and interpret units consistently in formulas; choose and interpret the scale and the origin in graphs and data displays.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSN-Q.A.3 Choose a level of accuracy appropriate to limitations on measurement when reporting quantities.
- Hinge lifters (30)
- Fingerprinting brushes (6)
- Professional dusting powder (1 large container)
- Professional Fingerprinting Ink pads (2)
- Evidence fingerprint cards (6)
- Fingerprint cards from each suspect (6)
- Lab gloves
- Overhead transparencies or clear glass surface (such as an available window or glass from a picture frame)
- Weigh boat, petri dish, or paper bowl for powder
- Magnifying glass (optional)
Cool and Dark (Ambient)